Monday 24 February 2014

Taking stock... 'Hey, its ok'

Coming up to my Seville monthiversary, I was feeling a little disheartened. A whole month in Spain and what did I have to show for it? Unruly classes and a fairly well loved duvet fort, that's what!

I felt guilty for wasting valuable 'Year Abroad' time doing sod all. The more I thought about it, the worse I felt, the more I wallowed and the more time I wasted! A vicious circle indeed.

In the style of Glamour magazine, I've decided to tell myself 'Hey it's ok...' :

  • to procrastinate. Who the hell wants to work on their dissertation at 10pm after work or when its 20+ degrees outside? - NO ONE!
  • to give yourself time to settle in. Yes you want to have hobbies and friends and know all the coolest places to go, but Rome wasn't built in a day - give yourself a break, find your feet and don't try and run before you can walk.
  • to not be productive every second of the day. Everyone needs to veg sometimes - you're not Superwoman, even though you'd like to be. 
  • to not always be sunshine and smiles. Just because you've had a bad day or two doesn't mean your whole life is going down the pan! Don't get caught in the swirling vortex of 'life will always suck this much'. No one's life is perfect 24 hours a day 7 days a week - far from it. Take a moment, chin up and carry on regardless!
This morning, I just told myself to breathe, take stock and remember that even the smallest achievements are worth celebrating.

and you know what...
I feel more cheerful already. 



No comments:

Post a Comment